Panettone is delicious on its own, but it's wonderful in this bread and butter pudding recipe. Serve with cream for extra indulgence.
Panettone and butter pudding
25g unsalted butter, softened
10 thick slices panettone
3 eggs, beaten
250ml whole milk
50ml double cream
50g demerara sugar
A pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Butter a 1½ litre ovenproof baking dish. Layer the slices of panettone in the dish.
- Beat the eggs together in a measuring jug, add the milk, double cream and 25g sugar. Pour this over the panettone and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the custard to soak in. Sprinkle with the remaining 25g sugar.
- Place a large, deep roasting tray on a low shelf in the oven and half fill with boiling water. Place the pudding dish in the roasting tray and bake for 35–45 minutes until the custard has set and the top is golden.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes to 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes to 45 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 148 ratings
This recipe was first published in December 2007.