This dish says a lot about my family and their eating habits: a little bit of good, old-fashioned British fare mixed with traditional Italian. And while panettone is lovely on its own, it's wonderful in a bread and butter pudding. Serve it with a jug of cream for extra indulgence.
Panettone and Butter Pudding
- Preparation time: 15 minutes to 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes to 45 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes
- 25g unsalted butter, softened
- 10 thick slices panettone
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 250ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 50g demerara sugar
- A pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Butter a 1½ litre ovenproof baking dish. Layer the slices of panettone in the dish. Beat the eggs together in a measuring jug; add the milk, double cream and 25g sugar. Pour this over the panettone and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the custard to soak in. Sprinkle with the remaining 25g sugar before baking.
- Place a large, deep roasting tray on a low shelf in the oven and half fill with boiling water. Place the pudding dish in the roasting tray and bake for 35–45 minutes until the custard has set and the top is golden.