These savoury biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to Christmas drinks. They're also very easy to make and can be prepared in advance and frozen or cooked and kept in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes chilling or freezing
- Cooking time: 10 minutes to 14 minutes
- Total time: 30 - 34 minutes, plus cooling
1 large fresh red chilli
150g plain flour
140g Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
140g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
A pinch cayenne pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Char the skin of the red chilli over a flame, then put in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to cool.
- When the chilli is cool, peel, seed and finely chop. Put the flour, cheese, butter and cayenne pepper in a food processor and pulse to make crumbs. Then add the chilli and 1–2 tbsp cold water and pulse until the mixture just comes together.
- Remove and roll into two logs about 5cm wide. Brush each one with beaten egg and roll each in a different type of seed, until evenly coated. Wrap in clingfilm and either chill for 30 minutes or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Using a sharp knife, cut each chilled or frozen log into 16 x 5mm-thick biscuits, to make 32 in total. Place them on 2 large, non-stick or greased baking trays, slightly spaced. Bake for 10–14 minutes (depending on whether you’re cooking from chilled or frozen), until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool or serve warm.