This delicious dessert is packed with exotic flavour. It's sure to be enjoyed by all the family and is also great for entertaining.
Passion fruit possets and sweet fennel crackers
For the possets:
8 passion fruit, plus extra to serve
100g caster sugar
300ml pot double cream
For the crackers:
Icing sugar, to dust
1/2 x 7g sachet instant yeast
1 1/2 tbsp golden caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
50ml Waitrose 100% Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
150g superfine 00 grade flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp fine crystal sea salt
1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg white, beaten
- Halve the passion fruit and scrape the seeds and flesh into a sieve over a measuring jug. Press with the back of a spoon to extract all the juice to give 50ml. Warm the sugar and cream together in a small saucepan over a low heat, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring, then remove from the heat and stir in the passion fruit juice. Pour into 4 x 100ml cups or ramekins and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Line 3 large baking trays with baking parchment and dust with icing sugar. Dissolve the yeast and a pinch of the sugar in 75ml warm water, leave for 5 minutes or until it begins to froth, then stir in the rest of the sugar and the oil.
- Combine the flour, salt and fennel seeds in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and slowly pour in the yeast mixture, using a fork to incorporate from the outside as you go, then use your hands to bring it into a smooth, soft dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with a little flour. Roll the dough pieces into balls, then roll out each ball until its about 10cm long and very thin. Place 4 on each tray, leaving plenty of space between them. Lightly brush with egg white, then dust lightly with icing sugar and scatter over a little caster sugar (the first creates a shiny surface, the second gives crunch). Bake for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Serve the possets with extra passion fruit pulp on top and the crackers by the side.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus chilling
- Total time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 (makes 12 crackers)
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 7 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Mar 11 12:00:37 GMT 2015.