1. Preheat the oven to 150C, gas mark 2. Line the base and sides of a 15cm round, deep loose bottom cake tin with baking parchment. Roll out half the marzipan to 5mm thick and cut a circle that will just fit inside the tin. Set aside.
2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, cinnamon, orange and lemon zest together in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric hand held whisk, beat until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Stir in the sultanas, currants and glace cherries.
3. Put half the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Lay the marzipan circle over the mixture. Spoon the remaining cake mixture on top and level the surface.
4. Bake for about 2 – 2 ¼ hours, until the cake is firm to the touch and well risen. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. When the cake is cool, gently warm the apricot jam with a little water. Trim the top of the cake so the surface is level. Brush with the apricot jam. Roll out the remaining marzipan and cut a circle to fit the top of the cake. Press firmly. Dip 11 of the eggs in a little jam and place evenly around the edge of the cake.
© Copyright Paul Hollywood