This autumnal salad uses delicious seasonal ingredients to make an easy main course.
Pear and beetroot salad
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 35-45 minutes
- Total time: 50-60 minutes, plus cooling
1 bunch beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed and halved if large
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
25g pack fresh mint, leaves only, chopped
225g LOVE Life Lentils
1 small red onion, finely sliced
2 ripe pears, cored and cubed
3 tbsp LOVE Life Mixed Seeds
100g pack watercress, stalks removed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the beetroot in a roasting tin. Toss with 1 tbsp of the oil and the cumin seeds, then roast for about 35-45 minutes until tender. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, mint and seasoning.
- Meanwhile, place the lentils in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain thoroughly, then add to the dressing and toss together.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and cut into bitesize chunks. Add to the lentils and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Add the red onion, pears and mixed seeds to the salad and toss to combine. Serve piled onto the watercress. Also great with cubed feta scattered over the top.