Athol brose is a sweet Scottish dessert of cream, whisky, honey and oatmeal.
Pear & haggis salad with athol brose dressing
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
6 Perfectly Ripe Conference Pears
½ x 454g pack Macsween Vegetarian Haggis
3 tbsp blended malt whisky, or our Buyer's recommendation: Isle of Jura 10-year-old whisky
4 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Scottish heather honey
120g pack Waitrose Aromatic Baby Leaf Herb Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Cut the pears in half lengthways. Remove the cores with a teaspoon to leave a cavity for the filling, but leave the stems intact. Put the pears into a shallow, ovenproof dish just large enough to fit them in a single layer.
2. Divide the haggis between the pears, filling each cavity with a generous mound of the mixture. Drizzle 100ml of cold water and the whisky around the pears.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until the pears are tender. Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, until the haggis is golden. Meanwhile, blend the crème fraîche, mustard and honey together in a bowl.
4. Serve the cooked pears with the salad leaves. Pour the juices from the baking dish into the dressing, season to taste and mix well. Drizzle over before serving with oatcakes.