During the long winter months, a wholesome broth is just what you need to warm you from head to toe.
Pearl barley & kale broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
77g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Diced Pancetta
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
Pinch of chilli flakes
1.2 litres vegetable stock
100g pearl barley
250g bag essential Waitrose Kale, finely chopped
Extra virgin olive oil and finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and cook the onion and carrot gently for about 6 minutes. Add the pancetta and continue to cook for a further 4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, rosemary and chilli flakes and cook for just a minute, then add the vegetable stock and the pearl barley. Simmer gently, covered, for 45 minutes until the pearl barley is tender.
3. Stir in the kale and let it wilt down, then continue to cook for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowl and top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano.
For a Spanish flavour, try swapping the pancetta for diced chorizo.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 18 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Dec 21 10:57:00 GMT 2016.