The secret to great roasties is letting them steam after draining, and getting your cooking fat really hot.
Perfect roast potatoes
2kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward, peeled and cut into chunks
100g goose or duck fat (or 100ml sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place a large roasting in the oven to heat up.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and leave to steam for 5-10 minutes to lose some moisture. Meanwhile, put the goose or duck fat in the roasting tin to warm.
- Roughen the edges of the potatoes, either by scraping them with a fork or tipping them back into the pan and giving them a bit of a shake. Season lightly with salt.
- Remove the tin from the oven, tip in the potatoes and turn them over carefully until evenly coated. Make sure they have plenty of space to brown properly.
- Return to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain them on kitchen paper, season and serve.
Par-boil the potatoes the day before, cool and keep covered in the fridge until ready to cook. If you are using this recipe for Christmas day, put the potatoes into the oven as the turkey starts resting.
- Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45-55 minutes
- Total time: 55-70 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Using goose fat
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings