The TV presenter and wine enthusiast works alongside Waitrose to find great matches for food and drink
Philip Schofield's chicken, leek & mushroom puff pie
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes to 55 minutes
- Total time: 60-70 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
12 Waitrose Duchy Organic Free Range British Chicken Thigh Fillets, cut into chunks
50g Waitrose Duchy Organic Enlgish Salted Butter
2 Waitrose Duchy Organic Leeks, sliced
250g pack Waitrose Duchy Organic Chestnut Mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp organic dried tarragon
50g Waitrose Duchy Organic Plain White Flour, plus extra for rolling
150ml organic dry white wine
350ml Waitrose Duchy Organic Whole Milk
500g pack puff pastry
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Warm the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, in batches, until golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the butter, sliced leeks, mushrooms and tarragon to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute to coat the vegetables. Add the wine gradually, stirring throughout, then slowly stir in the milk. Cook for 3 minutes or until thickened then season. Remove from the heat and add the chicken and any juices to the sauce. Leave to cool. Spoon into a 1.5-litre lipped pie dish.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until just a little larger than the dish. Use a sharp knife to trim the edges. Brush the edge of the dish with beaten egg and stick the trimmed offcuts of pastry on top. Brush with more eggwash, then lay the pastry sheet over the dish and press the edges together neatly. Trim the edges. Lightly score the top with a sharp knife to allow any steam to escape. Brush with more egg.
4. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden and piping hot throughout. Serve with seasonal salad or vegetables, if desired.