Plum & almond friands
- Preparation time: 20 minutes + cooling
- Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
- Total time: 35-38 minutes + cooling
125g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
50g plain flour
115g icing sugar
75g ground almonds
4 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg whites
½ tsp almond extract
3 large plums, stoned and cut into thick wedges
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with a little butter, then line the bases with circles of baking parchment. Melt the butter. Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the ground almonds.
2. Put the egg whites in a separate, thoroughly clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Stir the almond extract and melted butter into the flour mixture and mix to combine.
3. Using a large metal spoon, fold a quarter of the egg whites into the butter and flour mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remainder until just combined. Divide the mixture between the holes in the tin.
4. Arrange the plums on top and bake for 15–18 minutes, until just firm and golden around the edges. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve lightly dusted with icing sugar.