50g light muscovado sugar
50g roasted chopped hazelnuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 essential Waitrose Plums, stoned and quartered
75g golden caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
1 large free range egg, beaten
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100ml essential Waitrose Soured Cream
Plum and Hazelnut Upsidedown Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Butter and base line a 20cm round deep cake tin. Melt 50g of the butter and mix with the muscovado sugar, hazelnuts and cinnamon. Scatter over the base of the cake tin and press the quartered plums into the base.
2. Beat the remaining butter with the caster sugar and orange zest until pale and creamy, then beat in the egg a little at a time. Sift the flour with the bicarbonate of soda and fold into the creamed mixture with the soured cream to give a soft consistency. Spoon on top of the plums
and level the surface.
3. Bake for 45–50 minutes until well-risen, golden and firm to touch. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm with cream or cold. Store in an
Serve Blandy's Single Harvest 1999 Malmsey Madeira, £15.99/75cl. Madeira and its heady perfume of toasted nuts and spicy orange peel is the only wine you should consider for this cake.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings