served with a tamarind dressing
Poached chicken and pink grapefruit salad with tamarind dressing
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 lemon grass stalks
- 100g natural roasted cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 90g palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 2cm fresh root ginger, ½ finely chopped, ½ in strips, peelings reserved
- 2 red chillies, deseeded, 1 finely chopped, 1 in strips
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp thai fish sauce
- 160ml coconut cream
- 1 lime, juice only
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 2 shallots, halved and very finely sliced
- 15g coriander leaves
- 15g mint leaves
- Trim the woody ends from the lemon grass stalks; peel away the outer layer and reserve. Finely slice the softer core. Chop half the cashew nuts more finely.
- Put the sugar in a frying pan with 2 tbsp water over a medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the chopped lemon grass, fi nely chopped cashews, chopped ginger and chopped chilli. Simmer, without stirring, for 2 minutes; stir in the tamarind, fish sauce and coconut cream. Simmer for 1 minute, take off the heat and stir in the lime juice. Adjust to taste – it should be hot, sweet, salty and sour. Cover and set aside.
- Put the chicken in a pan and cover with cool water. Add the lemon grass trimmings, the ginger peelings and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, simmer for 8 minutes, then take off the heat and leave for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler to pare the carrot into a bowl, in strips. Do the same with the cucumber, discarding the core. Peel the grapefruit, cut out the segments from the membranes and add to the bowl.
- Shred the chicken and add it with the shallots, herbs (reserving a few leaves) and dressing. Toss, divide onto plates and top with the reserved cashews, sliced chilli and ginger and the remaining herbs.