100g amaretti biscuits
50g shelled pistachio nuts, chopped
150g full-fat cream cheese, such as
1 x Paysan Breton Luxury Cream Cheese
75g clear honey
3 tbsp lemon juice
200ml double cream
Pomegranate & amaretti trifles
1. Halve the pomegranates and squeeze the juice from 3 of the halves using a lemon squeezer. Open out the remaining pomegranate halves and separate the seeds, discarding the skin and white membrane.
2. Put the biscuits in a polythene bag and crush lightly with a rolling pin into small pieces. Scatter half the crushed biscuits into 6 serving glasses and add half the pistachio nuts and pomegranate seeds.
3. Put the cream cheese in a bowl with the honey, lemon juice, cream and pomegranate juice. Beat with a hand-held electric whisk until softly peaking, then spoon half this creammix over the biscuit layer in the glasses and top with the remaining biscuits. Reserve 2 tbsp of the remaining pomegranate seeds and nuts for decoration, sprinkle the rest over the biscuits and top with the remaining cream mix. Decorate with the reserved pomegranate seeds and nuts. Chill for several hours, or overnight, before serving to allow the biscuits to soften.
Skinning pistachio nuts emphasises their brilliant green colour. Put them in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 1 minute. Drain and rub between several layers of kitchen paper to loosen the skins. Peel away the skins and use as above.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus chilling
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus chilling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 39 ratings
This recipe was first published in November 2012.