3 unwaxed limes
75g caster sugar
½ tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
½ tsp black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
2 Red Choice tomatoes, deseeded and finely diced
450-500g pork fillet, cut into 3cm cubes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp olive oil
½ x 20g pack lemon thyme, leaves only
1 tsp garam masala
Warm chapattis, to serve
Greek yogurt, to serve
Pork kebabs with lime pickle
3 unwaxed limes
1. To make the pickle, halve 2 of the limes lengthways, then slice as thinly as possible, discarding the ends. Place into a dish and pour over enough boiling water to just cover. Leave for 3 minutes, then drain and repeat. Drain again.
2. Put the sugar into a saucepan with 125ml cold water. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the lime slices and any juice, together with the mustard seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns then season. Simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally until reduced and the lime is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato. Leave to cool. Cover and keep in the fridge for at least 12 hours or for up to 3 days.
3. Place the pork into a shallow dish with the finely grated zest and juice of the remaining lime plus the garlic, cumin, olive oil and half the thyme. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or for up to 6 hours.
4. Preheat a barbecue or griddle to medium. Thread the pork onto metal skewers. Cook for 15-20 minutes, turning often and basting with the marinade, until thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear. Sprinkle with the garam masala and the remaining thyme leaves. Serve on chapattis with the pickle and yogurt.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes + marinating + cooling
- Cooking time: 35 minutes to 40 minutes
- Total time: 50 to 55 minutes + marinating + cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jun 15 10:07:00 BST 2017.