This Japanese-inspired rice pot is simple to prepare and is packed with flavour. It is also low in fat, contains one of your five a day and makes a very satisfying lunch or supper.
Pork and Mushroom Umami Rice Pot
- Preparation time: 10 - 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20- 25 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Sunflower oil spray
300g Waitrose British pork fillet, diced
Bunch of salad onions, white part thinly sliced, green part shredded
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
250g Waitrose jasmine hom mali rice
500ml chicken stock, hot
2 tbsp Taste No 5 umami paste
150g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp light soy sauce, to serve
1. Spray a large pan with sunflower oil spray. Add the diced pork to the pan along with the white part of the salad onions, the garlic cloves and chopped ginger and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook for a minute more.
2. Mix the chicken stock and umami paste together and stir into the rice with the mushrooms. Bring to the boil, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Stir through the green part of the salad onions, forking up the rice as you go. Drizzle with soy sauce, to serve.
Tip. Don’t know what to do with the leftover tube of umami paste? Try adding it to savoury dishes, such as pasta sauces and soups. Use it as a marinade for meat or add to dressings to give them some real depth.