Pot-roast pork-belly buns
2 packs pork belly (about 750g each)
500g pouch dashi stock
250ml bottle Shaoxing rice wine
1 large cinnamon stick
40g grated ginger
15g dried shiitake mushrooms
6 salad onions
6 cloves garlic, peeled and bashed
150ml light soy sauce
2 red chillies
Cooks’ Ingredients Hoisin Sauce, to serve
4 packs 2 Heston from Waitrose Brioche Burger Buns
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Put the pork into a large roasting dish. Pour the dashi stock and Shaoxing wine into a saucepan and add the cinnamon stick, grated ginger and dried shiitake. Cut the salad onions in half, separating the white and green parts and add the greens to the pan along with the bashed garlic cloves and soy sauce. Place the pan over a high heat and bring to
2. Simmer the mix for 2 minutes and then pour straight over the pork. Tightly wrap the baking dish in tin foil and place in the oven for 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the accompaniments: finely shred the white parts of the salad onion lengthways, deseed and cut the cucumber into batons and finely slice the red chillies.
4. When the pork is cooked through (with no pink meat) remove from the oven. Turn the pork over in the liquid and allow to cool, covered, until cooled enough to handle. Then remove from the liquid, cut off the layer of rind from the top, slice the meat into ½ cm thick pieces and place on a serving platter.
5. Serve the pork in the buns with the hoisin sauce, accompaniments and a little of the reserved cooking liquor (optional).
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
per serving, including hoisin sauce
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Feb 02 09:33:49 GMT 2016.