The fragrant blend of African-style spices in the Berbere mix is perfectly matched with the robust beef joint. Serve with buttery mashed potatoes to soak up all the lovely juices.
Pot-roast spiced beef with red cabbage
Knob of essential Waitrose Unsalted Dairy Butter
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 small red cabbage, shredded
150ml balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1kg essential Waitrose British Beef Toprump or Topside joint
2 tsp Bart Berbere Blend
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC, gas mark 3. Heat the butter in a flameproof casserole and cook the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the red cabbage, raisins, vinegar and sugar.
2. Rub the beef joint all over with the spice blend and sit on top of
the red cabbage. Cover with the lid and roast for 2½-3 hours
until the beef is very tender.
3. Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then slice the beef and serve with the braised cabbage and some mashed potatoes.
A spoonful of cranberry sauce on the side makes a lovely accompaniment to this roast beef.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 2.5-3 hours
- Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes - 3 hours 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
per serving (excluding mashed potatoes)
Average user rating Based on 42 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Jan 12 10:40:52 GMT 2016.