1 tbsp olive oil
1.7kg whole chicken
350ml dry white wine
4 sprigs thyme
5 little gem lettuces
150g bacon lardons
200ml double cream
25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Pot-roasted chicken with bacon & lettuce
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C, gas mark 3. Heat the butter and oil in a flameproof casserole with lid. Season the chicken and place in the casserole (the chicken should sit snugly, surrounded by the lettuces later on).
2. Brown the chicken all over, pour in the wine and add the thyme. Bring to the boil then immediately reduce the heat; cover and cook in the preheated oven for about 1½ hours. Remove the lid after 50 minutes and tuck the lettuce in round the chicken. Baste with the cooking juices.
3. Fry the lardons in a frying pan until browned then scatter over the lettuces. Return the casserole to the oven uncovered. Continue to cook, basting the lettuces and turning them over every so often. Make sure the chicken is cooked through, with no pink and any juices run clear.
4. Transfer the chicken and the lettuces onto a heated platter, cover and keep warm. Discard the thyme, strain the cooking juices into a saucepan (reserving the bacon), skim off any fat from the top and discard. Heat the cooking juices, pour in the cream and boil until you have a sauce the thickness of single cream. Stir in the parsley and the reserved bacon. Add a squeeze of lemon and season to taste. Serve the chicken surrounded by the lettuce with the creamy parsley sauce on the side.