This is served in Liébana valley inns, where the sophisticates of Cantabria’s capital, Santander, come for Sunday lunch.
Pot Roast Veal with Chickpeas
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 150 minutes to 180 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 50 minutes to 3 hours 20 minutes
- 250g dried chick peas
- 1.2kg veal shoulder, boned and rolled
- 1 garlic head (whole)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 150g soft chorizo, sliced
- 70g Morcilla or black pudding, sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2-3 tbsp butter or pork dripping
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tbsp diced serano ham
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 100g spring greens, trimmed and shredded
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Cover the chick peas with plenty of cold water and leave to soak overnight
- Wipe over the veal and season.
- Drain the chick peas and put in a pan with enough water to cover generously. Bring to the boil and skim off the grey foam; add the garlic head, bay leaf and peppercorns and bring back to the boil. Turn down the heat a little, cover, and cook for 11/2–2 hours, keeping the broth at a gentle bubble, until the chick peas are quite soft. Add boiling water if it looks like drying out. After the first hour, add the chorizo and morcilla.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy casserole, fry the onion and carrot in the butter until soft and golden, then remove and reserve. Add the joint to the hot fat, turning it to brown on all sides.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 3. Return the vegetables to the casserole with the thyme, ham and 600ml water (to fill it by about two thirds). Bubble up, cover, and cook in the oven for 2–21/2 hours, till the meat is tender and the juices reduced.
- When the chick peas are tender, add the potato, salt to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the greens and cook for a further 3–4 minutes. Stir in the meat juices and vegetables, reheat, and transfer to a serving dish, with the veal on top. Finish with the parsley.