A great recipe for an alternative to the "standard" Sunday roast.
Pot-roasted Silverside of Beef
4 tbsp olive oil
2.5kg (5lb) silverside of beef
2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
8 small carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 whole head garlic, unpeeled and sliced horizontally
2.5cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, crushed
4 fresh bay leaves
7-8 sprigs thyme
1tsp whole peppercorns
250ml (8fl oz) beef stock
150ml (5fl oz) red wine
2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Heat the oven to 150C (gas mark 2). Heat half the oil in a large, heavy flameproof casserole or frying pan. Season the beef with a little salt and pepper, then sear on all sides until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the onions, carrots and celery, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and add the garlic, ginger, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, stock and wine. The liquid should be about 1.5cm (5/8in) deep. Spread the mustard thinly over the top of the beef.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring the contents slowly to the boil, then cover it tightly with the lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 4 hours, turning the meat 2-3 times during cooking. About 20 minutes before the meat is ready, increase the oven temperature to 220°C (gas mark 7) and remove the casserole lid.
- When cooked, transfer the meat, carrots and garlic to a large plater and strain the liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, using the back of a wooden spoon to press the vegetables through. reduce the sauce a little if needed and season to taste. Serve the beef in large slices with the carrots and sauce.
- Total time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Average user rating Based on 72 ratings