easy to make and taste fantastic!!! if you do your own puff pastry, shop bought pastry is just as fine as homemade one.
potato & spinach pasties
about 1lb puff pastry
a bag of spinach
3 large or 4 small to medium potatos
1 clove of garlic
a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
salt & pepper to season
1 egg yolk
- preheat the oven togas mark 6. boil the potatos with skin on until cooked. peel the skin and dice them.
- meanwhile cook the spinach in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. put the cooked spinach under running water and squeeze excess water, then chopped.
- mix the spinach, potato and chopped garlic, salt and pepper if you prefer grated nutmeg in a bowl and mush them all. roll out the pastry (5mm thick) and use your smallish plate as a template, cut the pastry ( you should be able to make 4-5 discs).
- arrange the potato & spinach mixture across the pastry, making sure the filling gose to the edge. brush the edge of the pastry with the egg yolk and water mixture then bring the edges up over the filling and press together to form a ridge.you can flute the edges of the pasties with your fingers or fold over the pastry to form a cord like seal. tuck in the ends.
- place the pasties on a baking tray and egg wash all over. make small holes so that steam can escape during the cooking. cook in the centre of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or untilpasties are crisp and golden in colour.
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings