It's well worth getting out the deep-fat fryer for these calorie-laden treats. Serve hot, with plenty of garlic mayonnaise for dipping.
Potato Scallops in Beer Batter
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes to 25 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes to 40 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- 225g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 220ml lager
- 750g-1kg Maris Piper, Romano or King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-3mm slices
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Oil, for deep-fat frying
- Sea Salt
- Sift the flour and 1 tsp salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the egg yolks and lager, and whisk until smooth. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 175-180°C.
- Just before cooking, place the egg whites and the cream of tartar in a clean bowl and whisk until foamy and stiff. Fold into the batter. Mix the potatoes into the batter, stirring gently until well coated.
- Fry the potatoes, in batches of 7-9 slices at a time, for 4-5 minutes. Adjust the heat so that the coating doesn't brown too much before the potatoes have cooked. Drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with garlic mayonnaise.