'The buttery, sugary juices of the cooked fruit soak into the cake once you flip it over, making it incredibly moist. The juices stain the cake a beautiful pink.' Rachel Allen
Rachel Allen's Upside-down cranberry cake
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
50g (2oz) butter
300g (11oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) fresh or frozen cranberries
200g (7oz) plain flour
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200ml (7fl oz) buttermilk
75ml (2½fl oz) vegetable or sunflower oil
Softly whipped cream
25cm (10in) diameter oven-proof pan
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Melt the butter in the ovenproof pan. Stir in half the sugar and cook over a gentle heat for approximately two minutes. Add the cranberries, then set the pan aside.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs in a measuring jug or a small bowl. Add the remaining sugar, the buttermilk and oil, and mix together. Next, combine the dry ingredients with this mixture and whisk to form a liquid batter. Pour the batter over the cranberries in the pan.
3. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake feels firm in the centre.