Chutney is one of the best store-cupboard staples to have on hand and is a great way to use up a glut of seasonal veg. Adapt the recipe to whatever veggies you have available or growing in the garden. Once opened, use within 2 weeks.
750g mixed red peppers, courgettes and aubergines, chopped (about 1 of each)
250g organic tomatoes, chopped
2 organic red onions, chopped
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
175g light brown muscovado sugar
250ml Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel or coriander seeds
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1. Place the chopped vegetables, apple and chilli in a large pan and stir in the sugar, vinegar, seeds, paprika and salt.
2. Cook gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes until thickened.
3. Cool slightly before spooning into sterilised jars, top with a waxed disc and sealed with a lid.
To sterilise the jars, wash in warm soapy water and rinse well. Place the jars and lids in a preheated 150ºC, gas mark 2 oven for 10 minutes until completely dry. If using kilner jars with rubber seals, boil them in a large pan of water instead as the dry heat of the oven will damage them.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes + cooling
- Total time: 35 minutes + cooling
Typical values per serving:
|Saturated Fat||trace g|
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Aug 27 08:54:00 BST 2015.