Chutney is one of the best store-cupboard staples to have on hand and is a great way to use up a glut of seasonal veg. Adapt the recipe to whatever veggies you have available or growing in the garden. Once opened, use within 2 weeks.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes + cooling
- Total time: 35 minutes + cooling
750g mixed red peppers, courgettes and aubergines, chopped (about 1 of each)
250g organic tomatoes, chopped
2 organic red onions, chopped
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
175g light brown muscovado sugar
250ml Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel or coriander seeds
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1. Place the chopped vegetables, apple and chilli in a large pan and stir in the sugar, vinegar, seeds, paprika and salt.
2. Cook gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes until thickened.
3. Cool slightly before spooning into sterilised jars, top with a waxed disc and sealed with a lid.