Another simple to make but extremely tasty classic chutney
Red Tomato Chutney
Makes: Aboyt 2kg (4lb)
2.7kg / 6lb Tomatoes (ripe)
450g / 1lb Onions
350g / 12oz Sugar
300ml / ½ pint Malt Vinegar
25g / 1oz Salt
2 tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Wash and chop all the tomatoes then peel and chop the onions.
- Place the tomatoes and onions into a large saucepan (preferably heavy bottomed to avoid the risk of burning). Place on the hob and cook gently to release the tomato juices then simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until tender.
- Add the salt, paprika, cayenne and half of the vinegar. Continue to cook gently for 45 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the sugar and remaining vinegar. Stir until fully dissolved. Continue simmering until the mixture becomes thick (stirring occasionally).
- Ladle into sterilized jars. Leave for 3 - 5 weeks to allow the flavour to mature
- Total time: 2 hours
Average user rating Based on 30 ratings