Rhubarb & custard arctic roll
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus softening and freesing
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes, plus softening and freezing
Serves: 6 - 8
2 x 500ml tubs Waitrose Seriously Creamy Madagascan Vanilla Ice Cream
200g rhubarb, finely sliced
250g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
Squeeze lemon juice
3 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
30g plain flour, sifted
30g custard powder
1. Take the tubs of ice cream out of the freezer and allow to soften for about 20 minutes. Lay a sheet of baking parchment on top of a layer of clingfilm, both around 40cm long. Spoon the softened ice cream along one edge, roll tightly into a sausage shape and twist the ends to seal. You should end up with a thick ‘sausage’ of ice cream around 30cm in length. Return to the freezer for 2 hours until firm.
2. Meanwhile, make the compote. Combine the rhubarb, 150g of the caster sugar and lemon juice in a medium pan and gently bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and jammy. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6 and line a 36 x 26cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Beat the eggs and remaining sugar with an electric whisk for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Carefully fold in the flour and custard powder then spoon into the lined tin. Spread out evenly with the back of a spoon then bake for 10 minutes.
4. While the sponge is still warm, turn out onto a clean tea towel topped with a large sheet of baking parchment dusted with caster sugar. Remove and discard the baking parchment from the sponge, then roll up tightly and leave to cool in the new baking parchment.
5. Unroll the sponge and spread the rhubarb compote over in an even layer. Unwrap the ice cream and lay down one long edge. Roll up until the edges meet then wrap the whole roll in clingfilm. Freeze for 1 hour until firm. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving then cut into thick slices.