This delicious and easy to make cake combines two classic flavours. It's perfect for morning coffee, afternoon tea or as a pudding. It's also ideal for taking on picnics.
Rhubarb & custard traybake
400g pack essential Waitrose Rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths
225g caster sugar
250g slightly salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
3 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
175g self-raising flour
50g custard powder
100g ground almonds
500g tub Waitrose Seriously Creamy Madagascan Vanilla Custard
12 sugar cubes, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C, gas mark 8. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Pat the rhubarb dry on kitchen paper and spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with 25g of the caster sugar and bake for 20–25 minutes or until the rhubarb is lightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and leave to cool while preparing the cake.
2. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 28 x 22cm shallow baking tin with baking parchment. Beat together the remaining sugar with the butter, eggs, flour, custard powder, ground almonds and 100g of the custard until pale and creamy. Fold through the rhubarb.
3. Turn into the prepared tin and spread in an even layer. Press deep cavities into the mixture with the back of a dessertspoon and pour the remaining custard into the tin.
4. Bake for 45–50 minutes until risen and the sponge feels just firm to the touch but the custard is still quite wobbly in the centre. Scatter with the crushed sugar and leave to cool in the tin. Serve cut into 12 pieces.
If you prefer, you can scatter the rhubarb over the cake before baking instead of folding it through the mixture, as in our picture.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 143 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Feb 27 13:35:00 GMT 2015.