The cheerful pink of young rhubarb adds colour to winter dishes. Try this deliciously easy recipe for a crumble made with wholemeal flour and orange, baked until crunchy and the juices begin to bubble around the edges. The acidity of young rhubarb also lends itself to savoury cooking - the recipe for savoury rhubarb makes an interesting change to apple sauce when served with roast pork. Cook it in the oven below the roasting joint.
Rhubarb and Orange Crumble
- 1 small orange
- 1 x 375g pack Waitrose Rhubarb
- 175g Waitrose Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
- 85g Waitrose Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 85g Waitrose Plain White Flour
- 85g soft butter
- Wash the orange and grate the skin on the finest side of a cheese grater. Squeeze out the juice.
- Trim the ends from the rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths and put into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle half the sugar over the top and pour in the orange juice.
- Mix the remaining sugar and the flours together with the orange zest. Rub in the butter with your fingertips (or use the food processor). Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the rhubarb and cook in a preheated oven 190°C, gas mark 5 for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with custard or cream
Average user rating Based on 15 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 01 00:00:00 GMT 1998.