A wing rib of beef makes a stunning centre-piece at Christmas, or throughout the year.
Rib of beef with port jus
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: about 2 hours, plus resting
- Total time: 2 hours 10 mins, plus resting
FOR THE BEEF
1 tbsp English mustard
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
Dry Aged Wing Rib Sirloin of Beef (about 2.1kg)
FOR THE JUS
200ml good-quality ruby port
1 sprig fresh thyme
750ml beef stock
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7. Mix the mustards, oil, thyme and garlic in a small bowl, and season. Score the fat on the beef with a sharp knife, then rub the joint all over with the mustard mix. Place in a roasting tin.
2. Cook for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 190ºC, gas mark 5, and cook for 15 minutes per 500g (plus 20 minutes for medium rare). Remove the beef and rest on a board or plate for 20 minutes.
3. Pour off and discard excess oil from the roasting tin and place over a medium heat on the hob. Deglaze the pan with the port. Allow to reduce by half, then add the thyme sprig and the stock. Simmer until reduced by two thirds, then season to taste. Strain and serve.