This hearty slow-cooked Tuscan vegetable soup is known as ribollita (or 're-boiled'), as it was originally made with leftovers.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus soaking overnight
- Cooking time: 2 hours to 3 hours
- Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes - 3 hours 25 minutes, plus overnight soaking
- 175g Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Borlotti Beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Chopped Garlic
- ½ x 80g pack parsley, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 400g Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Chopped Tomatoes with Onion and Basil
- 2 litres Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Vegetable Stock
- 1 Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Kashmiri Chilli
- 1 savoy cabbage, trimmed and finely shredded
- 200g bag baby leaf greens, trimmed and shredded
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 1 day-old ciabatta loaf
- Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Parmigiano Reggiano, shavings
- Cover the beans with cold water and soak overnight. Drain, place in a pan and cover with fresh cold water. Boil for 10 minutes, then drain and return to the pan with fresh water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, garlic, parsley, carrot and celery and cook gently for 30 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, stock and chilli and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the green vegetables and beans, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the crusts then tear up the bread and divide between warmed soup bowls. Remove the chilli and spoon the soup over the bread. Serve immediately, drizzled with Umbrian olive oil and scattered with Parmigiano Reggiano.