750g chuck steak, cut into 4cm cubes
2 medium onions, sliced
15g/3 cloves garlic, crushed
1tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1½ tbsp Garam Masala
1½ tsp salt
600ml beef stock
50g desiccated coconut
Rick Stein's British beef raj curry
1. Melt the butter in a large, sturdy pan over a medium heat. Add the steak, in batches, and fry for a few minutes until browned, then remove to a plate.
2. Add the onions to the same pan and fry for 10 minutes until softened and golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then return the meat to the pan, along with any juices on the plate. Stir in the chilli powder, turmeric, 1 tablespoon of the garam masala, and the salt, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the stock, followed by the coconut and sultanas. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over a low heat for 45 minutes to an hour or until the beef is tender.
4. Stir in the remaining garam masala and serve.
Recipe taken from Rick Stein's India, BBC Books (2013)
Photography James Murphy ©
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: About 1 hour 35 minutes
- Total time: About 1 hour 45 minutes
Average user rating Based on 29 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 27 09:29:00 GMT 2013.