750g chuck steak, cut into 4cm cubes
2 medium onions, sliced
15g/3 cloves garlic, crushed
1tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1½ tbsp Garam Masala
1½ tsp salt
600ml beef stock
50g desiccated coconut
Rick Stein's British beef raj curry
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: About 1 hour 35 minutes
- Total time: About 1 hour 45 minutes
1. Melt the butter in a large, sturdy pan over a medium heat. Add the steak, in batches, and fry for a few minutes until browned, then remove to a plate.
2. Add the onions to the same pan and fry for 10 minutes until softened and golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then return the meat to the pan, along with any juices on the plate. Stir in the chilli powder, turmeric, 1 tablespoon of the garam masala, and the salt, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the stock, followed by the coconut and sultanas. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over a low heat for 45 minutes to an hour or until the beef is tender.
4. Stir in the remaining garam masala and serve.