I was recently given a marrow and made this, it tasted good and needs to mature along with the Waitrose Piccalilli I made with the remainder of the marrow.
Riverford Marrow Chutney
- Total time: Preparation Time: 10 minutes
1lb ripe tomatoes
1 pint malt vinegar
4 oz dates
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ lb brown sugar
- Peel the marrow and cut into small chunks. Peel and chop or mince the onions. Peel and slice the tomatoes.
- Put all these ingredients in a pan with half the vinegar. Stone and chop the dates and add to the pan. Simmer gently until soft and pulpy and the marrow can easily be crushed. Add spices, pepper and salt and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar. Continue cooking until thick (No liquid should ooze into the path made by the wooden spoon as it is drawn cross the pan).
- Pour into warm jars with plastic or plastic coated metal lids.