Roasting brings out cauliflower’s nuttiness – a great carrier for the bright, salty flavours of anchovy, lemon and capers.
Roast cauliflower with anchovies and capers
• 2 cauliflowers, cut lengthways into 1cm slices (with the stalk)
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 75g unsalted butter, plus an extra knob
• 60g dried breadcrumbs
• 6 anchovy fillets in olive oil, drained and chopped
• 1 small garlic clove, crushed
• 2 tbsp nonpareille capers, rinsed
• 1 lemon, zest, plus a squeeze of juice
• 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Put the cauliflower slices on a baking tray; splash with the oil. Season well and roast for 30-35 minutes, until just cooked through and tinged with gold.
2. Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter in a frying pan set over a medium heat; add the breadcrumbs. Stir for a few minutes, until crisp and golden. Scoop into a bowl and cool. Wipe out the pan.
3. When the cauliflower is cooked, melt the butter and anchovies in the pan over a medium heat, stirring. Bubble gently until golden (about 4 minutes). Stir in the garlic, take off the heat; add the capers.
4. Add a squeeze of lemon juice; pour over the cauliflower. Sprinkle over the parsley and lemon zest, then scatter with the crumbs.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
Serves: Serves 6 as a side
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 11:00:06 GMT 2016.