Pearl barley is having a moment, and justifiably so: it’s nutty, nutritious and grown in the UK.
Roast chicken with barley, kale and roasted pears
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus resting
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hours 35 minutes, plus resting
2 tbsp olive oil
5 rosemary stalks, leaves picked and finely chopped
1.25kg essential Waitrose British chicken
3 onions, 2 cut into wedges and 1 finely chopped
3 pears, cored and quartered
300g LOVE life pearl barley
½ x 20g pack thyme sprigs
500ml fresh chicken stock
200g shredded curly kale
1 tbsp essential Waitrose dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Mix 1 tbsp oil with the rosemary. Rub over the chicken, season inside and out, then place on top of the onion wedges in a roasting tray. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Add the pears for the final 15 minutes. Take out of the oven and rest under foil for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and cook the chopped onion and remaining rosemary for 10 minutes. Stir in the barley, thyme, stock and 300ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a brisk simmer for 50-55 minutes, adding the kale for the final 5 minutes. Stir in the mustard, season; loosen with more water if needed.
3. Stir the pears, onion wedges and juices through the barley; spread over a platter. Carve the chicken and place on top.