3 tbsp rapeseed oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
100g fresh breadcrumbs
50g dried apricots
2 x 25g packs Cooks’ Ingredients Flat Leaf Parsley
2 clementines, zested
20g pack fresh sage
1-1.35kg venison rack (available from Waitrose Entertaining; pick up a brochure in store or visit waitrose.com/entertaining)
Roast rack of venison with a sage & clementine crumb
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Melt the butter in a large pan with 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the garlic and breadcrumbs and fry gently for 5 minutes, until golden and crisp, stirring the mixture continuously.
2. Finely chop the apricots with the flat-leaf parsley, clementine zest and sage. Stir into the crisp breadcrumbs, season and set aside to keep warm.
3. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over a very high heat. Rub the venison with 1 tbsp of the oil and season generously. When the pan is hot, put the remaining oil into the pan, add the meat and brown on all sides until caramelised all over.
4. Place the venison on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes for rare, or longer if you prefer your meat well done. Remove and place on a warm plate, cover lightly with foil and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Once rested, carve the meat between the bones into cutlets and serve with a scattering of the crispy crumbs. Delicious served with red cabbage and steamed greens.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes + resting time
- Total time: 50 minutes + resting time
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Nov 10 12:09:00 GMT 2015.