These parsnips are roasted in goose fat, which is sold in jars next to the butters in the chiller cabinet. The maple syrup glaze helps bring out this vegetable's natural sweetness.
Roast Parsnips with a Sticky Maple Glaze
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes to 50 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes to 1 hour
- 3 tbsp Catusse Graisse d'Oie (goose fat), or sunflower oil
- 1kg parsnips, peeled
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the goose fat or sunflower oil in a roasting tin and heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the parsnips in half or quarters lengthways, depending on their size, to form even-sized pieces.
- Carefully spoon the parsnips into the hot fat and turn to coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes, then remove from the oven and season. Drizzle with the maple syrup and turn to coat evenly. Return the parsnips to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until golden and tender, then serve.