Melt-in-the-mouth venison is ideal if you want something tender with lots of flavour. Here it’s combined with two classic Christmas ingredients.
Roast rack of venison with cherry and clementine crumb
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
100g fresh breadcrumbs
3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
50g dried cherries (or dried apricots)
2 x 25g packs fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 clementines, zested
20g pack fresh sage
1-1.5kg venison rack, cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C C, gas mark 6. Melt the butter in a large pan with 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the crumbs and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes, until golden and crisp, stirring the mixture continuously.
2. Finely chop the cherries (or the apricots) with the flat-leaf parsley, clementine zest and sage. Stir into the crisp crumbs, season and set aside to keep warm.
3. Heat a heavy bottomed pan over a very high heat. Rub the venison with 1 tbsp of the oil and season generously. When the pan is hot, put the remaining oil into the pan, add the meat and brown on all sides until caramelised all over.
4. Place the racks on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes for medium, or longer if you prefer your meat well done. Remove the racks and place on a warm plate, cover lightly with foil and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Once rested, carve the meat between the bones into cutlets and serve with a scattering of the crispy crumbs. Delicious served with red cabbage.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 mins plus resting time
- Total time: 65 minutes plus resting time
Typical values per serving:
2.1g fibre, 39.2g protein
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings