LOVE life recipe: low in saturated fat
Roasted tomato, chicken and bean soup
1.5kg ripe tomatoes, halved widthways
6 echalion shallots, halved or quartered if large
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 whole red chillies, stalks removed (deseeded, if liked)
25g pack basil, leaves and stalks separated
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 chicken thighs
400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Toss the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, chillies and basil stalks with the oil; season. Scatter in one layer over a baking tray. Top with the chicken thighs, skin-side up; season. Roast for 45-55 minutes, until the veg are soft and the chicken is thoroughly cooked, with no pink meat and the juices run clear.
2. Set the chicken aside, cool and shred; discard the skin and bones. Blitz everything else in a food processor until smooth, in batches, if needed.
3. Transfer the soup to a pan and add 200-300ml water until smooth. Add the beans and most of the chicken; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in most of the basil leaves. Serve, topped with the remaining basil and chicken.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Aug 28 13:30:00 BST 2014.