A hearty, vegetarian recipe perfect for cold wintery days.
Root vegetable and barley casserole
1 swede, peeled and cut into cubes
500g parsnips, peeled and cut into cubes
400g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, cut into 3cm slices
1 tbsp plain flour
700ml vegetable stock (using 1 Kallo Very Low Salt Organic Vegetable Stock Cube)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
250g pouch LOVE Life Barley, Wheatberries, Spelt and Rice
1 bouquet garni
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Parboil the swede, parsnips and potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the leeks for 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and gradually stir in the stock and mustard. Bring to the boil and add the barley mix, bouquet garni and drained vegetables. Bring to the boil again then cover and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni, stir in the parsley and serve.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Total time: 50-55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 08 13:54:00 GMT 2015.