These splay out in the pan, giving them deliciously crispy edges. Any leftover shreds of ham will do, or failing leftovers, you can buy shredded ham hock.
Root vegetable and ham rostis recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus cooling
250g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
250g swede, peeled and coarsely grated
1 small onion, coarsely grated
1 1⁄2 tsp wholegrain mustard
150g leftover ham, shredded
2–3 tbsp groundnut oil
1. Blanch the veg in a pan of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes; drain and press out as much liquid as possible. Tip into a large bowl and leave to cool. (You can do this up to 2 hours ahead.)
2. Whisk 2 eggs with the mustard and mix this into the vegetables, then fold in the ham and season. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, and drop in heaped tablespoons of the mixture. Gently but firmly press each mound down with a spatula into a patty about 1cm thick, with ragged edges. Fry for 2–3 minutes until the underside is golden and crispy, then carefully turn with a spatula (they will be quite delicate) and fry for another 2 minutes. Set aside on kitchen paper to drain while you cook the remaining röstis, adding more oil as necessary. You should get around 8 in total.
3. Wipe out the pan and add 1 tbsp oil. Fry the remaining eggs for 2 minutes; serve on top of the rostïs and season.