This vegetarian recipe makes a stunning meat-free centre piece for Christmas Dinner, or at other celebratory meals throughout the year.
Root vegetable and rice galette
250g wholegrain basmati rice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3 large parsnips, coarsely grated
3 large carrots, coarsely grated
½ swede, coarsely grated
240g can Clément Faugier Chestnuts, roughly chopped
3 large essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs, beaten
100g essential Waitrose English Mature Cheddar, grated
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300ml half-fat soured cream
25g pack fresh chives, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Cook the rice in boiling water for 20-25 minutes until tender, then drain. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 4-5 minutes until golden.
2. Meanwhile, place the root vegetables in a large bowl and pour over boiling water. Cover with clingfilm and leave for 5 minutes, then drain.
3. Mix the rice, onions and vegetables together with the chestnuts, eggs, cheese, cinnamon and seasoning. Press into the prepared tin and place on a baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before removing from the tin.
4. In a bowl, mix together the soured cream and chives, season and serve alongside the galette, cut into wedges.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
14g protein, 8.7g fibre
Average user rating Based on 19 ratings