Ruth Rogers is a chef at and co-founder of the River Café.
Ruth Rogers' patate e finocchida Lucca (roast potatoes and fennel from Lucca)
2 fennel bulbs
750g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), peeled and cut into 1cm slices
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp chilli flakes or 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, whole but lightly crushed
3 bay leaves
6 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
100ml white wine
5 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Discard the outer layer of the fennel. Cut the bulbs into 1cm slices; reserve the fronds. Blanch in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes; drain and mix well with the remaining ingredients.
2. Spread everything about 2 slices deep in a roasting tin and cover tightly with foil; bake for 25 minutes. Uncover; turn the potatoes to slightly crush them. Bake for 30-40 minutes more, until crisp and golden on top. Scatter over the fronds to serve.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Mar 01 15:07:00 GMT 2015.