""Baking fish in salt guarantees a juicy, well seasoned result. And you can’t beat the scent of juniper in the kitchen as this cooks." James Ramsden
Salt-baked mackerel with pickled beetroot
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
150ml white wine vinegar
175g caster sugar
1 shallot, finely sliced
250g cooked beetroot, finely sliced
500g rock salt
4 tbsp juniper berries
20g pack dill
4 whole mackerel, gutted and cleaned
1. Start by making the pickle. Put the vinegar, sugar and shallot in a small pan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the beetroot to the pickling juice; set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Put the salt, juniper berries and dill in a blender or food processor and blitz until well combined.
3. Scatter about 6 tbsp of the salt mix over the bottom of a baking tray and lay the mackerel on top. Tip the rest of the salt mixture over the top, covering the fish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the fish and carefully tip away all the salt. Skin the fish and serve with the pickled beetroot, potato cake and slaw.