It's hard to believe that the toffee, chocolate and biscuit genius of millionaire's shortbread could be improved upon – but this silky, sweet, irresistible tart just tops it.
Salted Caramel and Chocolate Tart
- 300g Golden caster sugar
- 250ml Double cream
- 200g Salted butter
- 150g Dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- 175g Plain flour
- 15g Icing sugar
- 90g Salted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 Egg yolk
- Briefly pulse the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Add the butter and blitz until it resembles dry breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 4 tsp chilled water; pulse again to bring it together. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and put in a baking sheet. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of ½cm. Use it to line a 24cm tart tin, leaving a little pastry overhanging all the way round. Prick the base all over with a fork and put the pastry case in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Line the tart with greaseproof paper and baking beans; slide it onto the baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes; remove the paper and beans and cook for 10 minutes further. Cool for 10 minutes then trim the excess pastry to neaten.
- Put the sugar in a heavy-based frying pan with 1 tbsp water; heat until the sugar dissolves but do not stir. Increase the heat and boil until it turns amber. Add 200ml double cream (the mixture may splutter); stir in 175g butter. Simmer for 3 minutes. Pour into the pastry case and cool for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the remaining butter and double cream. Drizzle onto the caramel. Use a spatula to swirl both mixtures together; chill for 6 hours to set. Before serving, sprinkle over the sea salt.
Only the darkest of black coffees will do here. Java is one of the spiciest and most full-bodied sources , given a full roast here.
- Preparation time: 40 minutes, plus 7 hours 15 minutes chilling, freezing and cooling
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus 7 hours 15 minutes chilling, freezing and cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 45 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Feb 01 00:00:00 GMT 2008.