750ml whole milk
1 bay leaf
1 x ½ small onion
2 garlic cloves, bruised
6 fresh lasagne sheets
1 x ½ savoy cabbage, cored and cut into 2 cm strips
45g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
3 tbsp plain flour
1 x ½ x 15g pack sage, leaves chopped
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
50g walnuts, roughly crushed
125g mozzarella, torn
20g parmigiano reggiano, grated
Savoy cabbage, walnut and sage lasagne
750ml whole milk
1. Bring the milk to the boil with the bay leaf, onion and garlic. Set aside for 15 minutes to infuse, then strain.
2. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne sheets in boiling water for 3 minutes until al dente, then refresh in cold water. Drain and pat dry on a clean tea towel. Blanch the cabbage in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Pat dry thoroughly.
3. For the sauce, melt the butter over a low heat and add the flour and sage. Stir for 2 minutes, then slowly pour in the infused milk, whisking all the time until smooth. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the nutmeg and walnuts; season.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Grease a 22cm x 16cm baking dish. Set aside one third of the sauce and stir the cabbage into the rest. Cover the base of the dish with a little of the plain sauce, then top with 2 lasagne sheets. Cover with half the ,cabbage, then add another 2 lasagne sheets and the remaining cabbage. Top with the final 2 lasagne sheets, spoon over the remaining plain sauce and scatter with the cheeses. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 6 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 06 11:18:46 GMT 2011.