- 3 slices thin smoked streaky bacon, cut in half
- 6 Canadian roeless scallops, patted dry with kitchen paper
- 1½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g pack rocket
- 25g butter
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest, plus 1-2 tsp juice
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
Scallop and Bacon Salad with Chive Butter
- Heat a medium-sized non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the bacon pieces. Cook for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden, then transfer to a plate. Carefully wipe out the frying pan using a piece of kitchen paper.
- Place the scallops in a small bowl and add ½ teaspoon of the oil. Season, then stir to coat.
- Place the pan over a high heat and add the scallops. Cook for 1 minute on each side, until they develop a caramelised crust, then set aside with the bacon.
- Wipe out the pan again and set over a medium heat. Add the butter and swirl it around the pan until it melts and foams. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, juice and cayenne.
- Place the rocket in a mixing bowl. Pour over the remaining oil and season. Toss to combine, then divide between 2 bowls. Top with the bacon and scallops. Mix half the chives with the butter and spoon over. Sprinkle with the remaining chives. Serve, garnished with lemon.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Jul 01 01:00:00 BST 2005.