The twist is that it is made using turkey or chicken mince (usually made with pork mince) and I add lightly fried onion and leek. Great with salad or baked beans and chips.Take on picnics, a great snack. Enjoy
Scotch Eggs With a Twist
- Total time: 1hr 30mins
500 g minced chicken or turkey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion
1 small leek
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
1 slice white bread (stale)
1 egg (beaten)
4 slices white bread (stale)
6 hardboiled egg
sunflower oil (for deep frying)
- Finely dice a small onion and finely chop the leek, lightly fry in the olive oil until soft. Leave to cool.
- Place one slice of white bread in food processor to make bread crumbs.
- In a bowl add the mince, herbs, salt,pepper and cooled onion and leek mixture, breadcrumbs and beaten egg and mix together very well. If you want to check for seasoning fry a small piece and taste.
- Shell eggs. Have prepared 3 separate plates, the beaten egg, breadcrumbs from the remaining 4 slices and one with some flour for your hands to keep them less sticky.
- Divide mixture into 6, take one portion and slightly flatten in your floured hand, place the egg in the middle and form the mixture around to make a nice round, continue until all six eggs are done.
- Dust in a little flour then put in beaten egg then breadcrumbs. When all are done place in the fridge for about 20 mins to firm up.
- Heat cooking oil to about 1800c and deep fry for about 5-8 mins until a beautiful golden brown.